Timmyscape

Monday, September 12, 2005

See Your Funds Go to Unnecessary Organizations

A night of promise ended in a night filled with reality…. I thought that we might have an actual chance to make some noise and bring real debate on the need for the LBGT Center. We got cut off early and were unable to really change anyone's opinion. I voted against their eligibility based on clear language in the application that the center is for "LBGT students and their allies". The reasoning had merit but I obviously see how others looked past it. I do not really care that much that they got eligibility but my main issue is providing student funds for “safe centers”. I have huge issues with this and I will continue to stand against the idea and funding of these places.

The clear view amongst the committee is that the LBGT community, female community or any other minority group of gender, sexuality, religious, or diversity needs a “safe zone” of their own supplied to them by student’s tuition. Give me a break. Our tuition money should be spent on essential student services rather on providing a special place for groups to get together for community, discussion, etc. My main question is why the LBGT community or any other group can’t meet at the Ratskeller, College Library, Union South or any other public rentable room on campus. I believe that University of Wisconsin-Madison is a place of tolerance, openness, and respect. Why do people need to hide their views and their real self….especially at the expense of students’ money? I will have to vote “yes” I am expecting of the Women’s Center but I will continue to make my point against “safe centers”. I can not live with myself openly funding this junk but I guess I have no choice.

Anyway, here are my political results on some random quiz I took online probably a few months ago. Where am I the most conservative….you guessed it….fiscal issues. I guess I can’t help being a stingy bastard on SSFC. I will continue to be..no doubt. I believe in spending money where it is most efficient and important and many of these extra activities obviously are of little real significance. Why do we really have to cut classes and lose good professors because we can’t pay them? One of the reasons is because we can’t control SEG fees…sad!!!

Your Political Profile

Overall: 70% Conservative, 30% Liberal

Social Issues: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal

Personal Responsibility: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal

Fiscal Issues: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal

Ethics: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal

Defense and Crime: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home